Cost-Effective Blow Molding Resins Add Transparency and Gloss
Surlyn® provides high gloss, scratch resistance, pleasant touch, and squeezability to cosmetic bottles and tottles.
DuPont™ Surlyn® blow molding resins are a cost-effective solution for transparent or opaque, monolayer or multi-layer premium blow-molded bottles and tottles for cosmetic, skin care, and hair care products.
Surlyn® provides outstanding transparency, high gloss, and scratch resistance to both extrusion blow-molded and injection blow-molded containers. For multi-layer extrusion blow-molded bottles, Surlyn® also offers significant cost savings versus expensive lacquering.
Glossy or Matte, Rigid or Flexible
With their unique chemistry, Surlyn® blow molding resins enable the creation of different surface solutions:
- Depth of image through transparent outer layer
- High glossy surface through polished mold
- Semi-matte surface through textured mold
- Rigid or flexible structure
Multi-Layer or Monolayer, Surlyn® Delivers
Surlyn® performance properties depend on the type of container structure. For multi-layer containers, Surlyn® provides:
- High glossy surface
- Excellent scratch and abrasion resistance
- Warm and pleasant touch
- Deepness effect to reveal colors and pigments
- Superior chemical resistance
- Improved squeezability and spring-back effect
- Easy reuse of regrind compared to lacquered bottles
For monolayer containers, such as tottles, Surlyn® provides:
- Crystal-clear transparency allowing contents to be visible
- Convenient squeezability
- Stiffness and spring-back effect for flexible tottles
- Better bottle emptying and improved dispensability
- Excellent moisture and gas barrier properties
- Superior chemical resistance
The Chemistry of Surlyn®
Surlyn® blow molding resins constitute a family of thermoplastic materials, based on ionically cross-linked copolymers. The ionic bonds modify the crystalline structure in such a way that ionomers become very transparent resins that are also tough and highly resistant to solvents.
Extrusion Blow Molding:
- Surlyn® 8920 for extreme gloss and transparency
- Surlyn® 1706 for enhanced chemical resistance
Injection Blow Molding:
- Surlyn® 8528 and 1652 for additional flexibility
Surlyn® blow molding resins help contribute to more sustainable cosmetics packaging. With scratch resistance eliminating the need to add coatings or varnishes, Surlyn® is a solvent-free solution. And the Surlyn® polyolefin-based structure (together with PE) provides improved recyclability compared to PA.
Product Data Sheets (15)
- Surlyn® PC100 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC350 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC2000 Datasheet (PDF)
- Disco Purge Procedure (PDF)
- Surlyn® Chemical Resistance (PDF)
- Surlyn® Moisture Protection (PDF)
- Surlyn® Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Grades Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Chart (PDF)
USES AND APPLICATIONS
Surlyn® for Polymer Modification
DuPont™ Surlyn® for polymer modification is used as a processing aid and compatibilizer in PET. It also is used as a nylon toughener in automotive parts.