Increasing Foil Adhesion in LDPE Extrusion Coating
Nucrel® AE improves adhesion to foil and hot tack strength in foil-containing pouches and sachets for food oils, snacks, and non-food products.
DuPont™ Nucrel® AE for LDPE extrusion coating is used as a packaging adhesive and sealant, modifying polyethylene (PE) packaging structures to improve foil adhesion.
Nucrel® AE is a terpolymer of ethylene, methacrylic acid, and acrylate. It is available for use in conventional extrusion coating, coextrusion coating, and extrusion laminating equipment designed to process polyethylene resins.
It is used as a modifier for PE in blends of approximately 20%-40% of Nucrel® AE in LDPE extrusion for enhancement of foil adhesion properties. When processed under correct conditions, it provides improved foil adhesion and increased hot tack strength. The level of adhesion improvement depends on processing conditions and the amount of Nucrel® AE added.
Proven in a Range of Applications
Nucrel® AE applications include:
- Foil-containing pouches and sachets for packaging non-aggressive foods, such as powdered milk, cooking and spice oils, and miscellaneous personal care and agricultural chemical products
- Snack structures such as foil-lined tins for biscuits and salty treats
- A heat seal or tie layer for other foil, metallized film, or paper coatings
Helping Reduce Waste and Save Time
Nucrel® AE for LDPE extrusion coating can help reduce waste because its toughness and strength minimize packaging failures – even in harsh environments. It also simplifies processing and shortens converting time.
Additional Information (8)
- Disco Purge Guide (PDF)
- Nucrel® Overview (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition Procedure for Blown Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition Procedure for Cast Film (PDF)
- Disco Purge Resin Transition Procedure for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Blown Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Cast Film (PDF)
- Purge Procedure with DuPont™ LDPE-6611 for Extrusion Coating (PDF)
Salonpas Foil Packaging
Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co. uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its foil packaging to prevent delamination caused by the active ingredients in its Salonpas pain relief patch.