Tyvek® Cargo Covers Perishables Technical Study
Evaluate the effect of Tyvek® Cargo Covers on quality & shelf life for air-shipped fresh green asparagus from pack out in South America through distribution and retail in the United States.
- Test sample – UK/US sized pallet protected with a Tyvek® Cargo Cover
- Control sample – no protection, industry standard
- Product temperature, air temperature and humidity measured continuously at strategic locations within pallet from pack-out through distribution. Average temperature is reported.
- Product quality and shelf life assessed at points throughout journey from pack-out through retail.
- Product quality measured on 5 point scale at 3rd party lab based on length, weight and appearance. Appearance factors were: decay, compact/open tips, tip softness, and color.
- Please see images on left
- The temperature and humidity management benefits of Tyvek® Cargo Covers delivered a 40% improvement in shelf life and substantially higher "as received" asparagus quality at the distribution center and retail levels
- Nearly a 90% reduction in heat history (time – temperature integral, where temperature >10°C) with Tyvek® vs control during transit
- 8 to 9°C (14 to 16°F) reduction in peak temperatures on tarmac vs control
- 4°C (7°F) reduction in peak temperatures during fumigation vs control
- Maintenance of desired high humidity environment during air transport vs 1.5% RH loss with control
- 40% extended shelf-life at the distribution and retail levels
- Significant quality improvement at the distribution and retail upon receipt of the product
- ZERO weight loss vs nearly 1.5% weight loss for the control pallet
Tyvek® Cargo Covers deliver significant increases in shelf-life and "as received" quality with no net loss in weight through transit.
All technical information set out herein is provided free of charge and is based on technical data which DuPont believes to be reliable. It is intended for use by persons having skill, at their own discretion and risk. The handling precaution information contained herein is given with the understanding that those using it will satisfy themselves that their particular conditions of use present no health or safety hazards. Since conditions of product use are outside of our control we make no warranties express or implied in relation thereto and therefore cannot accept any liability in connection with any use of this information. Nothing herein is to be taken as a license to operate under, or a recommendation to infringe any patents.
To maintain efficacy, DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers must be stored in the original package under dry, normal temperature conditions. DuPont™ Tyvek™ air cargo covers have been designed for one-time or limited use in line with sanitary regulations and pest management best practices. Sufficient pre-cooling and correct temperature management from start of the cool chain is essential for optimal performance. DuPont is not liable for product damage during the use of the cover.
Copyright © 2014 DuPont. All rights reserved. The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, Tyvek™ and Tyvek® are trademarks or registered trademarks of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company or its affiliates.
Technology by blueye® is a registered trademark of Blueye, LLC.