A Secondary Water Barrier for Walls
DuPont™ Tyvek® breather membranes can be used in walls to create a high-performance water barrier that offers protection from external moisture, condensation and air infiltration.
Whatever your walls are made of, it’s important to protect them effectively from potentially harmful infiltration by air and moisture. Installing a Tyvek® breather membrane not only improves thermal performance – you also add a secondary external water barrier that protects the integrity of the building structure far better than building paper ever could.
Efficient Protection From the Outside
Tyvek® breather membranes provide an effective secondary water barrier from the moment they are installed. This is a big advantage during construction, when structures are often exposed to the elements until their external claddings are completed. And since its durable functional layer is much thicker than those in many conventional microporous underlays, Tyvek® offers water protection that lasts.
Tyvek® Housewrap, Soft, Reflex and UV Facade more than satisfy the requirements for wall applications defined in BS 4016, and achieve underlay standard EN 13859. And with DuPontTM Tyvek® FireCurbTM, DuPont is already taking protection to the next level – by adding effective flame retardancy to the proven characteristics of Tyvek® membranes.
Efficient Protection From the Inside
The secondary water barrier provided by Tyvek® breather membranes externally is complemented with the installation of AirGuard® air and vapour control layers (AVCLs) internally. Specially engineered to improve airtightness and reduce condensation, AirGuard® AVCL membranes are 100% airtight and comply with EN 13984.
Whether you use AirGuard® Control, Smart or Reflective AVCLs, you can be confident in their ability to control condensation and increase energy efficiency.
Accessories for Long-Term Performance
DuPont has developed a range of Tyvek® accessories to complement Tyvek® membranes and AirGuard® AVCLs, and give a complete holistic solution.
Tyvek® UV Facade Tape, DuPontTM FlexWrap NF and other Tyvek® sealing tapes are specifically designed to help seal the building envelope, creating a watertight seal and providing long-term performance. Their excellent adhesion properties under extreme humidity mean they can be used on both interior and exterior walls.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Tyvek® e-Guard W1
All Tyvek® breather membrane products
A complete listing of all Tyvek® breather membrane products
Tyvek® Reflex is a heat reflective membrane that can help improve thermal efficiency in wall systems by reflecting 91% of radiant heat in summer, and reducing convective heat loss in winter.
Tyvek® Housewrap is a vapour-permeable breathable membrane for walls that provides moisture protection for timber, steel and concrete walls.
Tyvek® FireCurb® Housewrap
Take building protection to the next level with Tyvek® FireCurb® Housewrap – a fire retardant membrane with the benefits of a Tyvek® breather membrane.
Tyvek® UV Facade
DuPont™ Tyvek® UV Facade provides optimum protection from UV, wind and moisture, and is a proven choice for use in open rainscreen cladding systems.
- Tyvek® AirGuard® Smart
DuPont™ AirGuard® Reflective is a low emissivity internal vapour barrier that combined with an airgap can enhance thermal comfort by reflecting up to 95% of radiant heat back into the building.
DuPont™ AirGuard® Control is a tough, transparent vapour control barrier that improves airtightness by reducing convective heat loss and air leakage while also minimising the risk of condensation in roof and wall insulation.
- Tyvek® StructureGuard™
Tyvek® Double-sided Tape
DuPont™ Tyvek® Double-sided Tape is an advanced sealer tape that bonds all Tyvek® membranes to smooth surfaces, and seals membrane overlaps effectively.
Tyvek® Butyl Tape
DuPont™ Tyvek® Butyl Tape provides a moisture- and airtight seal between Tyvek® breather membranes or AirGuard® AVCLs and a wide range of materials.
- New Tyvek® StructureGuard™ for optimum frame protection
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Reflex and DuPont™ AirGuard® achieve impressive results for a new timber frame house build in Ireland
- Innovative concept of passive house protected by Tyvek® UV Facade
- New Tyvek® FlexWrap EZ tape helps optimise airtightness and seal awkward areas
- Ingenious new Emergency Shelter System for humanitarian crises
- Tyvek® and AirGuard® tick all the right boxes for a new modular office block development by Extraspace Solutions
- Energy-efficiency and reliable protection at Ben Wyvis Primary school
- Lethame House aims high with DuPont membranes
- DuPont™ Tyvek® protects the chemical laboratories of a University in Como, Italy
- USE Architects has transformed Mentmore Terrace in London’s Hackney
- Tyvek® UV Facade specified for the Malmaison Hotel, Aberdeen
- Tyvek® FireCurb™ Housewrap enhances safety at shopping mall in Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
INFORMATION & IDEAS
Find here all the technical information about DuPont™ Tyvek® & DuPont™ AirGuard®.
- Free CPD Seminars
- Building In Energy Efficiency
Give Home Energy Efficiency a Boost
DuPont™ Tyvek® solutions can significantly improve home energy efficiency. The combination of low-emissivity, vapour-open Tyvek® Reflex and AirGuard® Reflective is particularly effective.
- Tyvek® FireCurb™ Housewrap gains BBA confirmation of its power to protect
- Tyvek® UV Facade, now with both BBA and CE marking, is the advanced choice for open-jointed design
- Tyvek® offers unrestricted application when tested in accordance with BS5534:2014
- Tyvek® is compliant to New BS5534 Annex A
Tape Selection Guide
Find the right Tyvek® or DuPont™ FlexWrap tape with our Tape Applications Selection Guide.
Underlayment: Quality and Thickness of Functional Layers Are Critical
Tyvek® membranes are proven to resist ageing better than most common multi-layer underlayments. Even after prolonged exposure to UV radiation and heat, Tyvek® underlayment stays watertight and provides superior condensation control.
- What Makes a Tyvek® Watertight Breather Membrane Unique?
CE Compliant Membranes
All DuPont breather membranes, including Tyvek® and AirGuard®, are fully CE compliant, and carry the CE marking required throughout Europe.