Timber Frame Construction With Tyvek® and AirGuard®
Timber frame construction is popular due to its versatility, simplicity and light weight. DuPont™ Tyvek® building membranes work to make timber frame buildings even better – by improving their longevity and interior comfort.
Dual Challenges – Dual Protection
Timber frame construction structures need effective protection from two potential hazards: external weather and internal condensation. Tyvek® breather membranes and AirGuard® airtight membranes solve both issues at once – by allowing water vapour to escape through the outside building envelope, contributing to airtightness and reducing heat losses.
Tyvek® and AirGuard® membranes are suitable for many types of timber frame construction. They help to protect the building fabric from moisture infiltration and increase thermal performance.
Efficient Protection From the Outside
To protect the insulation and the structure of the timber frame construction, installation of a vapour-open membrane is recommended.
Tyvek® protects the fabric of the building from rainwater penetration during construction before external claddings are completed. It also helps to air-seal the wall, and reduce heat loss. This aspect is likely to be of increasing importance as airtightness becomes more significant in thermal performance requirements under building regulations.
Tyvek® Housewrap, Tyvek® StructureGuard™, Reflex, Tyvek® e-Guard W1 and UV Façade more than satisfy the requirements for wall applications defined in BS 4016, and achieve resistance to water penetration to underlay standard EN 13859. And with DuPontTM Tyvek® FireCurb® breather membranes, DuPont is taking protection to the next level – by adding effective flame retardancy to the proven characteristics of Tyvek® membranes.
Efficient Protection From the Inside
For maximum energy efficiency and comfort, it is important to install an air and vapour control layer (AVCL) that will improve airtightness and reduce condensation. AirGuard® AVCLs are specially designed to eliminate uncontrolled air leakage, reducing convective heat loss and providing a highly-engineered vapour control system.
Uncontrolled air leakage occurs through gaps between and around insulation layers and through hairline cracks in plasterboard linings. These invariably occur during the building drying-out process, but are also caused by settlement and thermal movement over the life of the building. When installed continuously with all laps and penetrations sealed, AirGuard® AVCL membranes can provide a lasting solution to this issue in all building types.
AirGuard® AVCL membranes are 100% airtight. AirGuard® Control and AirGuard® Reflective are also completely water resistant. Offering highly engineered vapour control for internal walls, they meet requirements for EN 13984. So whether you use AirGuard® Control, Smart or Reflective AVCLs, you can be confident in their ability to control condensation and increase energy efficiency.
Accessories for Long-Term Performance
DuPont has developed a range of Tyvek® accessories to complement Tyvek® membranes and AirGuard® AVCLs, and give a complete holistic solution.
Tyvek® sealing tapes, including Tyvek® UV Façade Tape and Tyvek® FlexWrap NF, Tyvek® FlexWrap EZ are specifically designed to help seal the building envelope, reducing uncontrolled air leakage and providing long-term performance. Their excellent adhesion properties under extreme humidity mean they can be used on both interior and exterior walls.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Tyvek® FireCurb® Housewrap
Take building protection to the next level with Tyvek® FireCurb® Housewrap – a fire retardant membrane with the benefits of a Tyvek® breather membrane.
- Tyvek® e-Guard W1
All Tyvek® breather membrane products
A complete listing of all Tyvek® breather membrane products
Tyvek® Reflex is a heat reflective membrane that can help improve thermal efficiency in wall systems by reflecting 91% of radiant heat in summer, and reducing convective heat loss in winter.
Tyvek® Housewrap is a vapour-permeable breathable membrane for walls that provides moisture protection for timber, steel and concrete walls.
Tyvek® UV Facade
DuPont™ Tyvek® UV Facade provides optimum protection from UV, wind and moisture, and is a proven choice for use in open rainscreen cladding systems.
AirGuard® Reflective E
AVCL which boosts your thermal efficiency
DuPont™ AirGuard® Reflective is a low emissivity internal vapour barrier that combined with an airgap can enhance thermal comfort by reflecting up to 95% of radiant heat back into the building.
- Tyvek® AirGuard® Smart
DuPont™ AirGuard® Control is a tough, transparent vapour control barrier that improves airtightness by reducing convective heat loss and air leakage while also minimising the risk of condensation in roof and wall insulation.
- Tyvek® StructureGuard™
Tyvek® Double-sided Tape
DuPont™ Tyvek® Double-sided Tape is an advanced sealer tape that bonds all Tyvek® membranes to smooth surfaces, and seals membrane overlaps effectively.
Webinar: Design Air-tight, Condensation Free Buildings
With the trend towards greater energy efficiency in buildings, as driven by Building Regulations, air tightness plays a vital role in meeting these standards. While in the past little or no attention was paid to airtightness, in recent years it has come become clear how much air tightness can contribute to the energy balance of a building.
- AirGuard®: Vapour Control Layer Solutions
- Tyvek® Sealing Tape
- Tyvek® Breather Membrane Solutions
- New Tyvek® FlexWrap EZ tape helps optimise airtightness and seal awkward areas
- New Tyvek® StructureGuard™ for optimum frame protection
- Energy-efficiency and reliable protection at Ben Wyvis Primary school
- Lethame House aims high with DuPont membranes
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Reflex and DuPont™ AirGuard® achieve impressive results for a new timber frame house build in Ireland
- Tyvek® and AirGuard® tick all the right boxes for a new modular office block development by Extraspace Solutions
- Tyvek® adds to the architectural wisdom of the new Liverpool Central Library
- Tyvek® Reflex protects new build apartments in Torquay against coastal weather conditions
- Innovative concept of passive house protected by Tyvek® UV Facade
- The WikiHouse 4.0 project by The Building Centre, Arup and 00 design
- Ingenious new Emergency Shelter System for humanitarian crises
- Tyvek® FireCurb™ key to enhancing safety and sustainability at the new Lerkendal Hotel and Congress Centre
INFORMATION & IDEAS
Tape selection guide
Find the right Tyvek® and AirGuard® tapes and adhesive accessories for your application with our selection guide.
- How to – Vapour control and vapour barrier installation
- How to - Install vapour control and vapour barrier membrane on down lights and ceiling hatches
- How to - Fixing the vapour barrier and vapour control membrane – timber, concrete and steelwork
- How to - Selecting the right vapour control and vapour barrier sealing tape for the job
- Tyvek® FireCurb® Housewrap gains BBA confirmation of its power to protect
- Tyvek® is compliant to New BS5534 Annex A
- Tyvek® offers unrestricted application when tested in accordance with BS5534:2014
- Free CPD Seminars
- Building In Energy Efficiency
Give Home Energy Efficiency a Boost
DuPont™ Tyvek® solutions can significantly improve home energy efficiency. The combination of low-emissivity, vapour-open Tyvek® Reflex and AirGuard® Reflective is particularly effective.
- Tyvek® UV Facade, now with both BBA and CE marking, is the advanced choice for open-jointed design