Cold Pitched Roof Construction
Tyvek® and AirGuard® membranes minimise interstitial and surface condensation in cold pitched roof construction, while helping to ensure optimal energy efficiency.
With traditional cold pitched roof construction, more insulation often means more interstitial and surface condensation, too – a danger that is aggravated by precipitation and wind. As a result, cold pitched roofs often need ventilation openings to ‘change the air’. These can reduce thermal efficiency by impairing the performance of fibrous insulation.
Tyvek® membranes are specially designed to alleviate this problem, and provide a holistic solution to cold roof constructions. They permit water vapour in the roof space to permeate through to the batten space, where the natural movement of air through the roof covering disperses it into the atmosphere. This removes the need for ventilation in the insulation – a benefit that is particularly important with cold pitched roof construction. A non-ventilated Tyvek® system will not only prevent excessive condensation but offer substantial gains in energy efficiency.
As a secondary water-shedding layer, Tyvek® membranes also provide a barrier that minimises the wind load acting on the slates and tiles, and helps keep wind-blown snow and dust out of the roof construction.
Tyvek® and AirGuard® in Cold Pitched Roof Applications
The insulation is installed at joist level, with a cold loft space (attic) between the insulation and roofing underlay. Usually, quilt insulation is laid between and over ceiling joists.
Tyvek® and AirGuard® in Room in the Roof Applications
Room in the roof constructions often use a combination of warm and cold roof constructions, with varying types of insulation. Cold roof areas usually include ‘vapour-open’ fibrous insulation (e.g., mineral wool quilt); the sloping ceiling areas include closed-cell or foil-backed rigid board insulants, most of which are highly vapour-resistant. This variation in vapour resistance can create an imbalance in vapour drive. To solve this, we recommend installing an air & vapour control layer (AVCL), such as DuPontTM AirGuard® Control, beneath the ‘vapour-open’ quilt insulation.
Meets Building Requirements
Non-ventilated pitched roof systems that use Tyvek® as rooﬁng underlay satisfy the requirement of Approved Document C2.
BBA certificate 08/4548 approves the use of non-ventilated Tyvek® systems for cold and warm pitched roof constructions. These constructions are categorised as shown; the difference lies in where the insulation is positioned.
DUPONT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Tyvek® Supro is the market-leading breather membrane, and is a water resistant membrane suitable for all supported and unsupported pitched roof applications in commercial and residential buildings.
All Tyvek® breather membrane products
A complete listing of all Tyvek® breather membrane products
AirGuard® Reflective E
AVCL which boosts your thermal efficiency
DuPont™ AirGuard® Reflective is a low emissivity internal vapour barrier that combined with an airgap can enhance thermal comfort by reflecting up to 95% of radiant heat back into the building.
- Tyvek® AirGuard® Smart
DuPont™ AirGuard® Control is a tough, transparent vapour control barrier that improves airtightness by reducing convective heat loss and air leakage while also minimising the risk of condensation in roof and wall insulation.
Tyvek® Plastering Tape
A high performance airtight and moisture adaptive carrier tape that can be rendered. It seals difficult areas like windows, doors and timber to block connections – 1 product that fits application outside and inside.
Tyvek® Double-sided Tape
DuPont™ Tyvek® Double-sided Tape is an advanced sealer tape that bonds all Tyvek® membranes to smooth surfaces, and seals membrane overlaps effectively.
Tyvek® Butyl Tape
DuPont™ Tyvek® Butyl Tape provides a moisture- and airtight seal between Tyvek® breather membranes or AirGuard® AVCLs and a wide range of materials.
High performance airtight vapour control layer overlap tape, that is very flexible, hand-tearable with a very high tack that sticks on all smooth or rough surfaces such as PE films, spun-bond, wood or PVC.
An adhesive sealant for permanently elastic, airtight bonding of joints and structural connections as well as connections of vapour control layers to surfaces such as stone. It provides excellent adhesion to most surfaces such as stone, concrete, plaster, plasterboards and wood.
Transparent primer that is permanently tacky after curing and with very fast curing time.
Webinar: Design Air-tight, Condensation Free Buildings
With the trend towards greater energy efficiency in buildings, as driven by Building Regulations, air tightness plays a vital role in meeting these standards. While in the past little or no attention was paid to airtightness, in recent years it has come become clear how much air tightness can contribute to the energy balance of a building.
- AirGuard®: Vapour Control Layer Solutions
- Tyvek® Sealing Tape
- Tyvek® Breather Membrane Solutions
- Tyvek® Supro at the Jamaica Inn: Reliable resistance for a windswept cultural icon
- New Tyvek® FlexWrap EZ tape helps optimise airtightness and seal awkward areas
- Lethame House aims high with DuPont membranes
- Tyvek® helps restore the glory of historic St. Augustine’s
- Reconstruction after the earthquake in Abruzzo
- Restoration of a architectural and cultural gem: St. Germanus church
- Tyvek® adds to the architectural wisdom of the new Liverpool Central Library
- DuPont™ Tyvek® is cast as a reliable performer in Poldark country
- DuPont™ Tyvek® breathes new life into heritage renovations
- XIV century St. Wenceslas Chapel is now protected with DuPont™ Tyvek® Metal advanced membrane
- Tyvek® advanced building membrane is fit for purpose at new Sports Hall
- Enhanced energy-efficiency of a major new riverside housing development
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- How to – Vapour control and vapour barrier installation
- How to - Install vapour control and vapour barrier membrane on down lights and ceiling hatches
- How to - Fixing the vapour barrier and vapour control membrane – timber, concrete and steelwork
- How to - Selecting the right vapour control and vapour barrier sealing tape for the job
Tape selection guide
Find the right Tyvek® and AirGuard® tapes and adhesive accessories for your application with our selection guide.
Find here all the technical information about DuPont™ Tyvek® & DuPont™ AirGuard®.
- Free CPD Seminars
- An Alternative to Multi-Layer Breathable Roofing Felt
- Building In Energy Efficiency
Give Home Energy Efficiency a Boost
DuPont™ Tyvek® solutions can significantly improve home energy efficiency. The combination of low-emissivity, vapour-open Tyvek® Reflex and AirGuard® Reflective is particularly effective.
- Tyvek® offers unrestricted application when tested in accordance with BS5534:2014
- Tyvek® is compliant to New BS5534 Annex A