Protection Against Structural Damage with Variable Vapour Resistance
DuPont™ AirGuard® Smart AVCL is airtight and water resistant and adapts its vapour resistance as humidity levels change, giving buildings maximum protection against structural damage caused by humidity.
DuPont™ AirGuard® Smart helps preserve structures by allowing trapped humidity to escape during the drying-out phase – then acting as a traditional AVCL once structures are dry and moisture levels have stabilised. It also provides an effective barrier in winter.
Suitable for a Range of Applications
This advanced product is made with DuPont™ Typar® and is suitable for a wide range of applications requiring superior vapour resistance, including:
- Renovation from the outside, on sheathing, over rafters
- As an airtight layer in above-rafter insulation systems
- Flat or pitched roofs with vapour-closed waterproofing (i.e., where moisture can only escape to the interior)
- New (timber) construction
- All-purpose dry lining applications
- Retaining insulation between rafters or wall framing.
- Wall systems (masonry, insulated timber or steel frame structures)
Important: AirGuard® Smart is not suitable for structures with permanently high humidity levels, such as saunas.
Key Benefits of DuPontTM AirGuard® Smart
- Extreme vapour resistance range from 0.26MNs/g to more than 150MNs/g (sd-values from 0.05m to more than 30m), hence highly adaptable, means AirGuard® Smart offers one of the widest vapour resistance spans known in the market
- Combines drying-out and vapour control function in one layer
- High drying-out potential = high protection against structural damage
- High tensile strength for superior insulation support / retention
- Very robust – offering versatility in site work
- Transparent, allowing the timber members to be easily located for fixing
- Complies with CE marking
Key Properties of DuPontTM AirGuard® Smart
- Material: DuPontTM Typar®, functional film, spun bond PP
- Style: 8407A
- Product designation acc. to EN 13984: Type B
- Roll size: 1.50m x 50m/11kg
- Reaction to fire: E
- Mass per unit area: 139g/m²
- Water vapour resistance range: 0.26MNs/g for humid environment (sd 0.05m) to more than 150MNs/g for dry environment (more than sd 30m)
- Temperature resistance: from –40°C to +80°C
- Maximum/minimum tensile force (MD/XD): 360/300 N/50 mm
- Resistance to tearing (MD/XD): 310/330 N
- CE marking: Yes
Choosing the right air and vapour control layer for a building project is critical to ensure full functionality of the insulation and its optimum performance, thus resulting in greater energy efficiency and more comfortable internal climate.
DuPont™ Tyvek® solutions can significantly improve home energy efficiency. The combination of low-emissivity, vapour-open Tyvek® Reflex and AirGuard® Reflective is particularly effective.
USES AND APPLICATIONS
- Warm Pitched Roof Construction
- Cold Pitched Roof Construction
- Internal Airtightness
- Timber Frame Construction
- Metal Roofing Solutions
- Protection for Wall Constructions
- Rainscreen Cladding Systems
- Protection for High-Rises
Airtight Suspended Timber Floors
DuPont™ Tyvek® membranes are windtight and vapour-open, to control airflow and manage moisture effectively in suspended timber floor constructions.
- Renovation above rafter insulation
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- Tyvek® is compliant to New BS5534 Annex A
- Tyvek® offers unrestricted application when tested in accordance with BS5534:2014
- Air and vapour control layer (AVCL) product selector
Find here all the technical information about DuPont™ Tyvek® & DuPont™ AirGuard®.
- Free CPD Seminars
- Building In Energy Efficiency
CE Compliant Membranes
All DuPont breather membranes, including Tyvek® and AirGuard®, are fully CE compliant, and carry the CE marking required throughout Europe.
- An Alternative to Roof Ventilation
- The Tyvek® Evolution Story
- Tests: ventilated versus non- ventilated cold pitched roofs
- Effective Cellulose Insulation
- How to - Selecting the right vapour control and vapour barrier sealing tape for the job